"Exalt the LORD our God and worship at His holy mountain, for the LORD our God is holy." -Psalm 99:9

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Day 10: Coming Alive!


WEEK TWO – Lifting/Stretching Only

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Workout:
                Abdominal Strength Routine
                                Captain’s Chair – 2 x 12 (:03 holds)
                                Crunches – 2 x 15 (:03 holds)
                                Side Crunches (Straight Leg Lifts) – 2 x 15 each side
                                Hip Crunches – 2 x 15 each leg
                                Bicycle – 3 x 30 count
                                Heel Raises – 2 x 15 lifts and :10 hold finish
                                Leg Walk-Up – 2 x 10 each leg
                                Boxer – to exhaustion (30 count)
                                Scorpions – 2 x 10 for stretch
                                Iron Cross – 2 x 10 for stretch                                                                         
Notes: 
                Enjoyed a day off from working today, and got down stairs for the tough abdominal routine this evening. I find myself thinking more and more each day about finally getting to go running. This extended (21 day) absence from running has been a true blessing. Not only has my body had the chance to heal from a very difficult training/racing phase this spring for track season, but I have slowly felt the fire to get out run growing, more than just a momentary craving but a true longing/desire. I, in the past, have run basically for the sake of fitness so that I could compete well, there wasn’t a consistent love for the discipline, but now I realize how much happiness running brings my life. My faith in God delivers salvation and joy through all circumstances, but running is one of the few things on earth that I take part in regularly that bring me happiness. Running is not the ONLY thing that brings happiness to my life; my work for the most part does (I’m a nurse), my wife, friends, and family certainly do as well! All of which I feel incredibly blessed to have and am thankful; but this blog is to focus on my running and how running and faith are intertwined in my life.

“Don’t ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive!” – Gil Bailie

                This quote really stirs up some passion and guidance, as well as answers! Question being, “Why do I run” answer - because God has designed me so that running brings me to life! In being brought to life I am more understanding of God’s connection to me and love for me and thus can be more effective in communicating God’s grace to the masses. So that is a big thing that is accomplished through my running, but deep down I run because I love it. I hate to admit it but I love those long grueling runs, I love the feeling of hurting more than ever in a 1500m race or an interval workout. Some love the reflection on having completed these things, and I do cherish that, but deep down I love that moment of enduring the pain. Never do I feel so close to God as I do when I am a broken man battling with all I have left in a race or workout and calling/crying out to God for His strength and presence for solace!

This is a photo of me running at 2012 USATF National Club Track and Field Championships in Omaha, NE. It's my 4th race in about 20 hours, and I can't wipe the smile of my face, as despite the fatigue and pain my subconscious self has decided to chase down the next guy in the last 500m. I closed a 30m gap but ended up getting beat at the line by .09 seconds as I flat ran out of gas, but I hadn't felt so ALIVE in a long time!

You can the video of this race (Sprint Medley Relay) by clicking HERE The Team Nebraska team includes: David Eads, Andrew Jacob, Matthew Pohren, and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment