"Exalt the LORD our God and worship at His holy mountain, for the LORD our God is holy." -Psalm 99:9

Monday, July 23, 2012

Day 8: The Lost Son...


WEEK TWO – Lifting/Stretching Only

Monday, July 23, 2012

Workout:

CORE/PLYMOETRICS WORKOUT

Planks – 3 x :30 Left/Right/Down (:15 rest between moves & :60 between sets)
Bird Dogs – 3 x :10 each side (:15 rest)
Back Extensions – 3 x :45 hold (:60 rest)
Swiss Hip Extensions – 3 x 5 each leg (:15 rest between sets)
Dumbbell Walkouts – 3 x :10 out / :10 back (:15 rest between sets)
Erect Lateral Bends – 3 x 5 each side (:03 down / :01 up) (:60 rest between sets)
Turkish Get-Up – 3 x 5 each arm (2:00 rest between sets)
Double Leg Hops – 4 x 3 hop for distance (:15 rest between sets)

Notes:
                     Week Two of no running, only lifting and stretching. Last week included a lot of soreness and adapting to the muscle stretch and strengthening. It truly shows how much I have neglected the little things that make a runner strong. A set of 15 sit-ups was enough to exhaust me and leave me sore for the next 72 hours. But I battled through the soreness and continued working hard. Thankfully, I can feel the benefits already beginning to set in this week (it doesn’t take long to makes gains in areas that you have completely neglected). Following along this same note, comes my area of conviction form the past week. I have also felt a stronger presence of God in my life and in my moment-to-moment thoughts. While it is encouraging, it is also very convicting; if I feel strength increases so quickly because I had not been working on that area, and then I feel God’s presence all the more in the same short period, this must mean that I had been neglecting God in the same manner as neglecting core strengthening….
                     Thankfully we serve a loving God, who keeps no record of our wrongs and the times that we walk off the path, but He patiently waits for our return and welcomes us back with open arms. The scripture that immediately comes to mind here is the Parable of the Lost Son found in Luke 15: 11-32. I encourage you to read this scripture, but here are the cliff notes from my view (relating it to a runner). This runner (the son) had a great set up but lusted for much more and was not willing to be patient and do what was required prior to receiving his inheritance, so he decided he’d rather just go at it on his own. This runner so blinded by the prize and recognition went out, ignoring his father, simply taking what was not rightfully his yet and pursuing things of the world. Eventually the things of this world crumbled him and he came up short. He then comes to recognition that it would be better to serve his father and have nothing rather than live in the world. When he returns to the father, the father does not scorn his son for what he has done (all though he had every right to), but instead heaps him with undeserved love and showers him in affection.
                     I have most certainly been this lost son over and over and over again in my life; both in my day-to-day life as well as my running. Often times I begin seeking the Lord and am so easily ensnared by the offers the world has in terms of recognition and pride in my training/racing, quickly I am humbled in some manner and return to God broken (sometimes literally broken, as I broke my left ankle in college, at the height of my running ability and at the same time as far from God as I had been in a long time). And every time He has picked me up! Does this mean I should continue on in this manner, taking for granted that He will still pick me up regardless of how far I wonder astray? OF COURSE NOT!
"No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed reamins in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God."  -1 John 3:9
It is my heart’s desire to follow the Lord and seek Him in this training and running, and this time I can feel the grasp of God’s hand leading me. I simply pray I do not pry myself free from this grasp, but find comfort and solidarity in it, instead of being distracted by the world’s empty promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment