"Exalt the LORD our God and worship at His holy mountain, for the LORD our God is holy." -Psalm 99:9

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Day 4: God Expects & PROVIDES!


WEEK ONE – Lifting/Stretching Only

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Workout:
WEIGHTS

Power Cleans 3 x 10
Bench Press 3 x 10
Bent Over Rows 3 x 10
Upright Rows 3 x 10
Notes: Very quick workout today, but definitely can feel the effort. For those that know me it’s apparent I don’t lift often especially upper body, but this is just another area in which I must commit to doing more than I have been willing to in the past. Running for a distance runner looks much different than the common image of lifting. For instance, when I bench it’s not cut down sets with increasing weights with a ton of rest and maximal effort; instead it’s longer sets with short rest and continuous lifting at a much lighter weight, focused on muscular endurance not strengthening or growth. The last thing I’d want to do is get that role model upper body, it may look good in the world’s eyes but it’s not beneficial to my task.
The message on my heart today closely relates; the message is about what God requires of us. God may require of us, and He is absolutely just in this as we are His creation. I am grateful God does not require more of us; He sent His Son to pay our price and thus requires nothing of our own to earn our eternity in heaven. So where does this train of thought go….? Well in terms of my running God still requires we give what we are working for to Him and that we give everything we have to the pursuit of this task. Check out Genesis 22:1-19, here is a man willing to give His own son in obedience to the Lord! Relate that to me, I am willing to give everything I have in pursuit of training and running at my absolute best for the glory of God alone. This is a daunting and honestly not an accomplishable task for a mortal, sinful man such as myself, no matter how hard I try on my own I will fall short as my pride will stumble me or the pure lack of ability will have me fall short. So now comes the REAL ENCOURAGEMENT FROM THESE VERSES! Verses 13 and 14. God requires a sacrifice of Abraham, and….HE PROVIDES THE SACRIFICE! God provides the materials for Abraham to complete the task required of him by God! Practical application to my running is that God requires a super human effort in training for the physical and mental aspect of training as well as a super human focus to give things over to God constantly, a super human effort to not fall victim to pride and the world’s pressures; and HE PROVIDES THE MATERIALS TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN THROUGH THE HOLY SPIRIT THAT DWELLS WITHIN ALL BELIEVERS!
What an amazing God! I could not be more encouraged having read this and had this on my heart all throughout the day today, I could not wait to get home and workout and continue to dwell in pure amazement of this revelation. Be encouraged, no matter where you are in life, God is not only calling you to obedience but He is providing the methods, material, and path to get there all you have to do is MOVE! God does not require we accomplish the task under our own ability, but He simply requires that we MOVE and then He can take action. I'm absolutely ready and am MOVING with all that I have in full confidence of the Lord and His plans for me!



Meghan and I following our first marathon (Sioux Falls 2011) with two of our closest friends (York and Megan). Friendship like this is just a small image of the blessings I have through running.


No comments:

Post a Comment