"Exalt the LORD our God and worship at His holy mountain, for the LORD our God is holy." -Psalm 99:9

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Day 16: Encouragement is a Gift...


WEEK THREE – Lifting/Stretching Only

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Workout:WEIGHTS (@ 6:15pm)

Squats – 3x10
Deadlifts – 3x10
Calf Raises – 3x10 each leg
Reverse Sit-Ups – 3x10
Super Sets (Squats/Pull Overs) – 3x20

STRETCHING
RUN WORKOUT (@7:15pm)
         15k with 6.5k Fartlek


Notes:
     Out on the roads today after what was another long day of work and training. Worked another 13 hour shift starting very early this morning, came home and got right into the lifting. Feeling beaten down and flat out fatigued, then there was the lift that I needed; the encouragement from people I view as mentors/teammates/leaders/and above all friends.
    I’d like to take a moment and thank those people. Jeff Nielsen (a great teammate and stud wrestler converted into a stud marathoner himself) for sending me an email containing solid down to earth advice following yesterday’s mental earthquake. Will Lindgren (our Team Nebraska president and a rock of a mentor/leader to me for the past 39 months since I finished my collegiate eligibility and was accepted onto Team Nebraska) for his shot out and encouraging words on his daily blog at
http://www.teamnebraska.com/new/?p=2711   And of course my wife, she encourages me in ways without trying, today for allowing me to warm up to the track with her where I did my workout as she battled in her own workout in the heat, and then enjoyed a longer cooldown back home.
   The physical workout included the weight session right after work and then heading out for the Fartlek run on very tired legs. For those unfamiliar with the term, Fartlek is a Swedish word meaning “Speed play”, basically the goal is to run at aerobic threshold (marathon pace) for certain varying distances followed with short jog recoveries. It was a continuous 6.5k Fartlek run around the track. And I am completely surprised with the results. My legs and lungs were feeling rather decent today and it showed in a good effort on the track. I’m glad I settled for just 6.5k of the workout instead of 10 or 13k, following the sound advice given by Jeff Nielsen in making sure I get through the workout fresh enough to run again the next day and not over exerting myself on any given day.
    My Mile splits in the workout were as follows: (6.5k in 24:19 - 6:01.1 / mile)
             6:08
             6:00
             5:54
             5:49
               :28 (to finish 6.5k)


    The spiritual/mental workout or application comes today through the Biblical readings on encouragement. The necessity of encouraging one another and lifting one another up. I won’t go into detail explaining this but rather just share a couple passages where encouragement is defined and the results are amazing.
19 The next morning the Israelites got up and pitched camp near Gibeah. 20 The Israelites went out to fight the Benjamites and took up battle positions against them at Gibeah. 21 The Benjamites came out of Gibeah and cut down twenty-two thousand Israelites on the battlefield that day. 22 But the Israelites encouraged one another and again took up their positions where they had stationed themselves the first day. 23 The Israelites went up and wept before the Lord until evening, and they inquired of the Lord. They said, “Shall we go up again to fight against the Benjamites, our fellow Israelites?” The Lord answered, “Go up against them.”  -Judges 20:21-23
11 Finally, brothers and sisters, rejoice! Strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.”   -2 Corinthians 13:11
If there is a way I can encourage you individually please feel free to share with me at maschn02@gmail.com or messaging below, whether it be to share in your joy, or lift you up in prayer please share. I receive so much encouragement knowing God is using me to reach out to people in this journey and I pray there is a way that you will allow me to return the encouragement!

No comments:

Post a Comment