"Exalt the LORD our God and worship at His holy mountain, for the LORD our God is holy." -Psalm 99:9

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Day 20: New Experiences...

WEEK THREE



Saturday, August 4, 2012


Workout:
REST DAY FROM WEIGHTS/CORE

RUN - Easy Miles - 18k in 1:09:06 (6:11/mile pace)
                6.2k warm up
- 26:12 (6:48/mile pace)
                10k Tempo - 35:15 (5:40/mile pace)
                1.8k cool down - 7:39 (6:49/mile pace)

Notes:      Meghan and I are on our vacation. We are trying to start a tradition of vacation for our anniversary. This August 7 will be out two year anniversary and we will spend it in Des Moines this year at Adventure Land! We prefer tent camping and getting away from society but considering this summer's weather and the training for marathon, figured it smart to go the hotel route this year. Last year we were fortunate enough to spend a week in the Black Hills and see my grandparents.
     Anyway we are on the first leg of our journey, spending a couple days at Meghan's parents in Fremont. Tonight was the Fremont Alumni 5k run, so considering Meghan and her brother Andrew would be running, I decided to incorporate the run into my workout.
     It began with a long warm up, Andrew (who is also a teammate of mine for Team Nebraska) ran the first 4.5k with me as he warmed up for the 5k run. I finished the warm up and then ran the 5k course once solo in 18:20 before catching the start of the real race and trying my hand in keeping up in the last half of my workout. I was pleasantly surprised to run 16:55 for the 2nd 5k in the race and finish 8th! My mile splits were roughly 5:55/5:55/5:50/5:22/5:27/5:32/1:15 for .22mile finish.
   This was a different experience for me knowing going in I was not going to be competitive, but it was truly a blessing. Not just how well I was able to run, but watching Andrew and other friends such as David Ernesti compete so well! I could see them throughout and really took joy in seeing them run well, it took my mind off my running and allowed me to run freely. I never once was clouded by wishing I was more competitive. Im truly thankful for this, and certainly recognize another big crack in the wall today! Along with that Meghan ran a terrific race, winning the women's division in a new course record and one of her top road 5k times!
    It was also very inspiring watching Mo Farah and Galen Rupp finish 1-2 in the Olympic 10k today! I pray I can continue to feel such happiness for other runners in their great efforts, and get away from jealousy or thoughts of comparing who I am to what they are, be free from the world and the world's parameters and just enjoy each moment I have to the fullest. Im still no where near the runner I truly am and am still struggling to find my legs but the gains are great and I know in time things will come around.

    I will keep up with the posting as we are on the road for our vacation, pray things go well for us. We are very thankful to have the opportunity to get away and enjoy one another on this our 2nd wedding anniversary! Legs may be dead, but God is good! Recognizing His presence in all of life is so much more than a man deserves!

No comments:

Post a Comment