"Exalt the LORD our God and worship at His holy mountain, for the LORD our God is holy." -Psalm 99:9

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Day 17: Strength in Weakness...


WEEK THREE

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Workout:
                Abdominal Strength Routine
                                Captain’s Chair – 2 x 12 (:03 holds)
                                Crunches – 2 x 15 (:03 holds)
                                Side Crunches (Straight Leg Lifts) – 2 x 15 each side
                                Hip Crunches – 2 x 15 each leg
                                Bicycle – 3 x 30 count
                                Heel Raises – 2 x 15 lifts and :10 hold finish
                                Leg Walk-Up – 2 x 10 each leg
                                Boxer – to exhaustion (30 count)
                                Scorpions – 2 x 10 for stretch
                                Iron Cross – 2 x 10 for stretch                                                                    
Notes:
      Early in this training I am experiencing my weaknesses more in my self-control than in the physical ability or mental toughness. I have always struggled to "be smart" in training and in marathon training it is going to require more inteligent thoughts and plans than I have ever needed in track. Learning to rest when it's needed even if I could get out and run physically is going to be a gigantic step for me. Mostly due to pride, the pride that comes with high mileage, the pride that comes with consecutive days run, etc.
    I am pretty well tired and beat up. Monday and Tuesday were tough on me. So now I am struggling with the pride when it comes to trying to be smart. I am aware that I should not be afraid to rest this early in the program, as it is 12 weeks of training and I want to run well at the end not crash out early. Also factoring in the heat and other circumstances to making this is a much more difficult transition than I had hoped for. It takes a lot for me to swallow my pride and admit that; not so much to you as a reader, but more to admit it to myself. It's ok for me to be vulnerable and weak is not a thought I often accept.
     By only doing the abdominal routine and resting from running today and I am admitting to myself that I am weak and somewhat fragile, it is smarter for me to work my way into the training instead of going head first and regrouping as I break. It's only 8pm as I right this and the sun is still up, I pray I am able to resist this urge to get out and run today, and thus allow my body to heal and rest a little bit before getting after the long set of 400m intervals tomorrow. I will continue to grow and learn throughout this process and I am comfortable with erroring on the side of caution right now.
   I am thankful for my weaknesses for I know in my weaknesses God's presence is shown. I often think of this promise and think ok I am not strong at running long tempo runs so God will show his presence in having me run well on a long tempo or something along that line, I neglect that God works in more ways than that, I limit Him and put Him in the box of my mental limits. I pray also this box would be shattered, and my mind blown by the presence of God in more ways than I could imagine. I pray I would be sensitive to see and recognize them as well. And always remain grateful.

2 comments:

  1. Hey my name is Colin Morrissey currently running for Concordia. I sometimes view Will's blog on Team Nebraska and saw that you had a blog and started reading it. Nice work in your blog so far.

    I noticed that you went right into running a good amount of miles and speed work right away. I'm happy you took today off cause it seemed with like you had 2 workout 2 days in a row. I'm not too sure about any more than 2 maybe 3 workouts where your running decently fast a week. But I mean "Killer coach" should know what you can handle. I also like how on the workouts you cut it early when you weren't feeling it. You have a script, but you got to listen to your body (something we all struggle with). Good work, I may continue to follow your blog cause you put a lot of work into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colin thanks for the positive words brother. I hope your training is going well, it was good seeing you out pushing it hard at Havelock 10k.
      The fartlek workout is not meant to be a "workout" really. In a few weeks that should feel real easy and just be part of the second long run of the week.
      I have a hard time wrapping my head around KillerCoach's stuff as well as it is far from the ordinary American routine, but I trust it, he had me in the best shape of my life in track season, so I trust he'll do the same for the marathon.
      I hope you continue to follow along, and I hope to see ya more on the roads when you wrap up your collegiate elligibility running for Einspahr.
      Be Blessed.

      Delete