"Exalt the LORD our God and worship at His holy mountain, for the LORD our God is holy." -Psalm 99:9

Friday, August 17, 2012

Day 33: Every Little Prison (Deliver Me)...

WEEK FIVE
Friday, August 17, 2012
Workout:
EASY MILEAGE - 15.5k in 1:08:45 (7:05/mile pace)
         Ran at 5:15am! It's been a long time since I've run significant mileage that early, it's incredibly challenging for me but at least I can keep it "slow" and get some recovery in at the same time as some training. Plus I get to see the sunrise!
Notes:
    Starting today with another impactful song, "Every Little Prison (Deliver Me)" - Matt Maher:
From wanting to be loved
From wanting to be praised by all
From needing to be first
From finding all my worth in this world
From wanting to be seen
From constant worrying about myself

Deliver me
From validating words that only seem to serve a heart that's proud
And all my self esteem, dressed up in vanity and doubt
From wondering if I am relevant and liked, so God

Deliver me, deliver me
Show me what it all looks like
Scribbled on the pages of a human life
Riddled through the ages until we see the light
Breaking all the cages wide open
Every little prison

From fear of letting go
From fear of the unknown ahead
From being overlooked
And so misunderstood again
From fear of being judged
From rumors of a love that fails

Deliver me, deliver me
Show me what it all looks like
Scribbled on the pages of a human life
Riddled through the ages until we see the light
Breaking all the cages wide open
Every little prison

Let every man be more than I
Closer to the truth when I'm set aside
Mostly of no use, but when I fall I fly
Breaking all the cages wide open
All these little prisons
Show me what it all looks like
Scribbled on the pages of a human life
Riddled through the ages until we see the light
Breaking all the cages wide open
Every little prison
       I have heard this song several times, but it wasn't until a couple days ago driving home from Norfolk, that I truly listened and HEARD this song, and man it was a revelation. I hope you can read deep into the lyrics and listen to the song before reading on: Click here to listen to the song.
        Anyway, I wish I could talk about this song in reflection, saying this is a battle I fought way back and overcame, but the honest truth is that this is a battle I fight everyday if not several times a day when it comes to my running career. The battle being the transition from running seeking self glory to running seeking only to glorify the Creator - real running. The lyrics really sum things up much more poetically and clearly than I could so I will leave it at the lyrics and encourage you all to reflect on the "little prisons" in your life that are hindering your walk with Christ. What prisons are you trapped in that are keeping you from experiencing God to His full.
       Running specific for me it is simply the self glory. I am but a man and I do love the praise and feeling of knowing you did something on the track, roads, course, or in a workout that make people marvel at your athletic accomplishments (even if they are miniscule to what others can accomplish). Pride is my biggest battle in life. I do pray for the day when the war is won and human pride is laying dead to the glory of God, but until then I simply fight everyday, in prayer and conscious actions, to surrender my pride and give God the glory! I pray that when this marathon mission reaches it's goal of an Olympic Trials qualifier that people will instantly think of God. That the work and results would reflect God's majesty, sovereignty, and love would be showing in radiance, to such an extreme that it would cloud out all images of me and my efforts. I pray not only that that would be the image for those following, but more importantly for me. That when I cross the finish line the mind doesn't feel pride and reflect on my hard work as in suggesting that I earned this, but instead I would fall to my face in aww of the Lord. This is the difference between the spirit of pride and the spirit of thankfulness...something I will go into further detail on a later blog as it is a constantly repeating spiritual battle of mine. 
This is Ryan Hall winning the 2008 Marathon Olympic Trials, this was his expression nearing the line after about 400m of just letting lose all the praise he had left in his body. It still gives me goosebumps. While part of me desires to experience what Ryan has on the running level, I more than anything want to experiene God on the run the way he has. I do not wish to have what Ryan Hall has in life, but simply wish to experience God at that pure of heights!

No comments:

Post a Comment