"Exalt the LORD our God and worship at His holy mountain, for the LORD our God is holy." -Psalm 99:9

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Day 27: Huff-n-Puff Bluff 3 Mile Race

WEEK FOUR


Saturday, August 11, 2012
Workout:
TOTAL RUN -16k in  1:05:18 (6:34/mile pace)
        6.2k warm up
        3 Mile Road Race - 15:18.3 (5:05/5:09/5:04)
        5k cooldown
Notes:
     Meghan and I were up early this morning to head to Morse Bluff, NE to run in a little 3 mile road race being put on by a Team Nebraska mate (Shannon Stenger). He was hosting the race to benefit the Morse Bluff Q125 celebration, we went to support that and get in a good tempo effort. Meghan dominated the women's field in course record time and brought home a little cash for her overall women's title. I had the fortune of getting my butt-kicked in what was a great race for me at this point in the training.
      Most wouldn't expect to go to a small village 3 mile race and come up against a world-class miler from South Africa, but most aren't in the circle of Team Nebraska mates (former and past). Peter VanDer Westhuizen is a native of South Africa, he ran for UNL, and has competed in the world championships in the 1500m. In my days running for Team Nebraska I've learned a lot from Peter, been motivated by his talent and work ethic, and yes, had my butt handed to me on many occasions by him. Also, Peter's father (Glen, aka - KillerCoach) is my coach along with many of the Team Nebraska mates via email from South Africa.
     Anyway, I got out and pushed the pace early and ran the first mile shoulder to shoulder with Peter, he then proceeded to put a major gap on me, I tried to go but couldnt muster the wheels, I figured I was fading, come to find out I was staying consistant and Peter was just laying it down! It was a beautiful morning to race and Peter surely was feeling decent as he ran the last 2 miles in approximately 9:35 to my 10:13...
    As for spiritual.mental.emotional state, I found myself just in awe of Peter's ability once again, not at all displeased with my effort, on the contrare I am really happy with me effort, just last week I split 16:20 through 3 miles of a 5k, today Im through 3 miles in 15:18. Progress is great and my legs feel like my own on the run, I'm just hoping I can move past this lingering knee issue and get to training solidly without thinking about whether Im damaging the knee or if it's getting better etc.
     Sure it would have been nice to bring home a little prize money for the overall win, but I know for certain I would not have run as well out there nor pushed myself nearly as hard if Peter was not in the race. So I am thankful for his talent, and his willingness to whoop my butt; he is a phenomenal talent, and has been a great ambassador for running and Team Nebraska in his years in the state. Just one more connection made through running that I am forever thankful for.
      -Side note- I finished the race and prepared to cool down, while the youth in the race were ripping off their race numbers, finding sharpies, and seeking out Peter's autograph. It's funny after a few years of knowing Peter and running with him, it tends to slip your mind that he is such a world class athlete, something that can be attributed to his character, and a great compliment to him at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment