"Exalt the LORD our God and worship at His holy mountain, for the LORD our God is holy." -Psalm 99:9

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Day 30: Forced Rest...

WEEK FIVE
Tuesday, August 14, 2012
Workout:
REST FROM RUNNING


Core Workout (30 Minutes)
Stretch
Notes:
      It's certainly tough to rest most days, but today is easy call for me. I am absolutely tired from two long days at work and some big runs lately, all on top of minimal sleep the last 4 days or so. I have never been one to string together insane number of days of running; I simply don't train that way. I prefer to have a rest day truly be a rest day and not fill it with pointless short, easy mileage runs. I know as the training progresses I will probably move away from this trend and start running 7 days a week, but for now I will remain smart and pace myself up to the higher mileage weeks. With the rest day I'm still looking at a 68 mile week.
      I hope others got out and enjoyed the day on the run today, tomorrow sounds to be bringing back another scorcher in the midwest. A resident told me today that yesterday's high of 78 degrees broke a 57 day period of highs well above 80 degrees! That's a toasty summer especially considering how many of those topped triple digits, kudos to those who got out and battled over that stretch; especially Jeff Nielsen and Dylan Wilson, a couple of Team Nebraska marathoners who were in the middle of their training program during that period!
     I will enjoy my night of rest and will be ready to get in a good run in the heat tomorrow before laying into a massive set of 400m repeats on Thursday when it's supposed to be much cooler temps. To satisfy the desire to make some notion of progress I will get in a core workout before heading to bed tonight.


This is me nearing the finish of my first (and only) marathon to date. Sept 11, 2011 Sioux Falls Marathon. I would finish 5th overall in 2:37:44. I'm hoping for/expecting much more out of my second marathon in Des Moines in October, and those goals are part of what drive me daily. It's hard but yet crucial to recognize rest days as training days, and maintain training smart within your abilities. People often compare long events and the endurance required to "running a marathon" I think they should use marathon training as the template of patience not the actual race; the race is but a breif moment in the terms of the training.

"so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please Him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to His glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of His holy people in the kingdom of light."-Colossians 1:10-12

No comments:

Post a Comment